GSM London Limited ('GSM') entered Administration on 30 July 2019 and Matthew Tait and Tony Nygate, partners in BDO LLP, were appointed as the Joint Administrators ('the Administrators').

As GSM is about to close, the following is the final information, advice and guidance that will be provided to former students of GSM. All students were written to in the same terms on 5 November 2019.


This information pack is the last communication you will receive from GSM. You will not receive any further information, advice or guidance.

This letter covers the closure of GSM buildings, systems and the Student Support Office. The rest of the pack includes:

Please read this letter and the contents of the pack carefully and retain it for your records.

GSM campuses and systems

GSM is no longer delivering courses in any location. Staff no longer teach GSM courses. Students who are studying at Meridian House in Greenwich will be on Coventry University London courses only.

Access to GSM systems is being removed. From 29 November 2019, you will not be able to log into the student portal or GSM Learn. It is recommended that any learning materials you wish to keep are downloaded in advance of this date.

Your GSM email account will also be shut down from 29 November 2019. It is your responsibility to save anything you need from your account as once it is closed you will not be able to retrieve anything.

Student Support Office (‘SSO')

The Student Support Office and Hub closed on 15/11/19

If you have a place at a new institution and require further general help and support, you should refer to your new institution, as they will be in the best position to help you.

Confirmation that you are no longer a student of GSM

GSM has begun the process of sending transcripts to your home address by post in the first week of November. You may have already received these.

Once you have received your final transcript and any certificates you may be due, you will formally be withdrawn from GSM student records and cease to be a student of GSM.

With best wishes for the future,

GSM London Limited

Transcripts, certificates and academic appeals

The University of Plymouth (‘the University') is the institution validating your degree and it will retain a copy of your student record. The University can help students who wish to submit an academic appeal, or obtain replacement copies of transcripts and certificates, should these be lost.

Transcripts, certificates and academic appeals

The Academic Partnerships team at the University has set up a dedicated web page that contains further information on academic appeals, requesting transcripts and certificates. The team will be able provide you with a copy of your transcript, award verification letters and a replacement certificate. Normal replacement charges will apply.

The website address is

If you want to request a certificate, letter or transcript please contact who can check if your certificate or transcript has been sent or is held by the Academic Partnerships team, if previously not issued by GSM.

If the Academic Partnerships team does not hold your certificate, the team will explain how to obtain a replacement certificate or transcript via the e-store from the University's Exams and Awards Office page:

When you make a transcript or certificate request, you will be asked to provide your surname, first name, date of birth and GSM enrolment and student identification (ID) number. It is therefore essential that you keep safe your GSM enrolment and student ID number and refer to it in correspondence with the University.

Where University records show that you have been previously issued with a transcript and/or certificate you will have to pay a standard fee for a replacement certificate on the e-store site. The standard fee for replacement certificates is £45 and the standard fee for replacement transcripts is £15 per academic year.

If you do not think you have received your transcript from the October 2019 Award Assessment Board and/or a certificate, or are having difficulties in providing the necessary information to make a request for a replacement transcript/certificate, please contact the dedicated records email address:

Final transcripts and certificates after the October 2019 Award Assessment Board

GSM will provide official transcripts after the October Award Assessment Board. These will be printed, stamped and distributed by GSM during week commencing 4 November 2019.

The University will send your final certificate to your home address. The University aims to post certificates within 8 - 10 weeks of the Award Assessment Board.

To receive your transcript and certificate please ensure that you have checked your student record and that your personal email and postal address are correct.

If you need to update the University of your home address after the closure of the SSO, please contact

Storage of student data

The University will securely store your student record. It will only be accessible by University staff dealing with GSM queries. Storage is compliant with General Data Protection Regulations. The University's student privacy notice can be found at

What do I do if I want to submit an appeal against the outcome of an Academic Misconduct decision from the Summer 2019 Semester (C19) following the October 2019 Award Assessment Board?

Now that GSM has closed, a student may appeal against the decision of a GSM Academic Misconduct Panel for the Summer 2019 Semester (C19) by contacting the University at

Please use the link below for details of the University Academic Appeals Policy for GSM Students and the Appeals proforma.

What do I do if I want to submit an Academic Appeal following the October 2019 Award Assessment Board?

From 1 November 2019, a student who is concerned about an individual assessment or other academic decision about their Summer 2019 Semester (C19) assessment should submit an appeal to the University. Please use the link below for details of the University Academic Appeals Policy for GSM students and the Appeals proforma.

Student finance, student refunds, monetary claims, student debtors

Student finance

If you have any questions or need guidance in respect of funding from the Student Loans Company (‘SLC'), the telephone number to call is 0300 100 0084. The specific GSM finance queries line closed on 18 October 2019. Your entitlement to further student finance depends on your own personal circumstances. If you are moving to a new university or college, your new institution will contact the SLC to review your funding for the course that you have joined.

Transfer forms

In accordance with previous communications, GSM has acted upon the information you have provided within the mandatory Student Withdrawal from Studies form and completed any necessary SLC transactions accordingly.

This will include an assumption that if you have not completed a withdrawal form, you are not intending to complete your studies in the immediate future.

In these circumstances, the SLC will engage with you directly in respect of any ramifications that this may have for any existing maintenance funding already paid or due.

Student refunds

You will not be entitled to any refund of your tuition fees for the parts of the course which have been provided by GSM and which you have attended. Tuition fees are paid to GSM by the SLC on a semester-by-semester basis for the teaching services provided. Since the teaching has been delivered, you are not automatically entitled to a refund.

If you have paid for a course and you believe that you have paid in advance for teaching beyond the semester that ended on 27 September 2019, you should complete a Refund Request Form, which can be requested from the Refunds Department, and submit it with supporting evidence to the Refunds Department at

If you believe you are owed a refund or have a claim for another valid ‘business as usual' reason, you are required to complete a Refund Request Form and provide the relevant evidence to the Refunds Department at

No refunds will be processed as a result of the Administration of GSM, but you should complete the Refund Request Form as you may have a claim in the Administration.

Your refund application will be reviewed and if validated, it will be accepted as a claim in the Administration. The Administrators will provide you with formal notification in this regard and details of how you can gain access to Administration progress reports, which will eventually provide you with details of the likely dividend prospects for creditors.

If you have paid the amount for which you are seeking a refund by a debit or credit card, it is suggested you also contact your card provider for options that they may be able to give you.

Student claims for the non-delivery of student contract

Notwithstanding the work that the Administrators have overseen to minimise disruption to the students of GSM, the Administrators recognise that students may believe that they have incurred loss or damage that has not been adequately addressed by the steps that have been taken to support students.

It is for each student on an individual basis to consider whether you believe that you have a monetary claim for loss or damage arising out of the Administration of GSM. As with all potential creditors of GSM who have a claim arising from a contract, student creditors are required to provide evidence of the basis of that claim, the value of that claim and the steps they have taken to mitigate (or reduce) that claim.

If you believe that you have a monetary claim and can provide appropriate evidence, the Administrators will then consider that claim and your claim may be admitted, in whole or in part, as a claim against GSM London Limited (in Administration).

Details of how to make a claim were provided in a letter to you from the Administrators dated 23 September 2019. Should you consider that you have a monetary claim, you should follow the guidance contained within that letter and submit the necessary information to the dedicated email address at When assessing claims of this nature, the Administrators will also be considering any outstanding debts in relation to your tuition fees.

The Administrators' proposals and subsequent progress reports, which are being made available to all of GSM's creditors, will eventually provide an indication of the likely timing and quantum of the dividend that unsecured creditors may receive. Please note that these prospects are not possible to ascertain at present and are likely to be subject to substantial change over the course of the Administration.

There are strict rules on how financial claims can be considered in an Administration and more general information about what happens when an organisation goes into Administration is available at

You should note that a student creditor of GSM cannot commence any legal proceedings against GSM without the consent of the Administrators or the permission of the Court. These restrictions are statutory restrictions that the Administrators will enforce rigorously.

Student debtors

If you owe money to GSM, it is important that you continue to pay the sums due. You will have been advised recently if you have any sums outstanding.

If this is the case, it is important that you engage with the GSM Debtors team at and arrange to pay the outstanding amounts as expeditiously as possible.

If you owe money to GSM, you will still be allowed to:

To confirm, you are expected to pay any outstanding amounts due to GSM, however, you will still receive all the above whilst you have a debt outstanding.

Students with outstanding debts are reminded to pay their outstanding balance by direct bank transfer to GSM London Limited's new Administration bank account. Details are below:

Bank: Royal Bank of Scotland plc

Account Name: Matthew Tait and Antony Nygate Joint Administrators of GSM London Limited floating

Account Number: 32236149

Sort Code: 15-10-00

Please ensure you use your student ID as the reference for any payment made to ensure that it is correctly allocated to your student account.

Credit on student ID cards

The Administrators have sent cheques by post to students who had a personal balance of £1 or greater on their student ID cards. The ‘personal balance' on student ID cards is defined as any unused sums arising from their own contributions. Any unused amount of the sums provided by the GSM is not considered as part of the balance.

For example:

Making a complaint

If you remain unsatisfied with any aspect of your experience, you may be able to complain to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (‘OIA'). You should look at the OIA's dedicated webpage, found at and fill in their complaint form that can be found at

If you wish to raise a complaint, this should be brought to the attention of the OIA as soon as possible and the OIA will let you know as soon as possible if your complaint is one that they may be able to review.